Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hogwarts Adventures: Year One

So, I've been waiting with both hesitation and excitement to share my love of Role Playing Games with my kids. They've been asking to play since they realized that is what I do on Tuesday Nights (and why they need to clean their play room). I've tried a few little things, totally informally, but they haven't worked well. Then I made a promise. When you can read well enough, we will play.
Well, that time has come.

We also just finished reading (me to them) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The kids love it, I could to practice my voices (I think I have Dumbledore and McGonagall down pat, my Hagrid is iffy, and my Snape needs work). They loved it and have been running around the house brandishing wands. So I did it.
I made some Character Sheets, and the worlds most basic rules, and we did it. I decided not to let them play Hermione and Harry (their first choices, and forced them to make their own characters).

Sophie was faster. She made Stacy Granger, cousin to Hermione. Her parents are muggles, but know about wizards. She has a cat named Spotty (who doesn't have spots). She is most talented at Magic, then Studies, then Sports (the three only character traits from the rules).
Will has trouble with names, but he settled on Gandalf Ley (pronounced Lee), also the child of muggles, but unaware of his heritage. He has a Great Gray Owl named Warlock. He is best at Magic, average at Sports, and worst at Study (I think).

They picked their wands. They both luckily got into Gryffindor House (There was no avoiding it).
Sophie failed her first attempt to transfigure a match into a pin, and was required to visit Prof. McGonagall during office hours, where she succeeded.
On her way back, she spied Mrs. Norris. She was pushing a small cart with some objects on it. She ran back to the nearby Gryffindor Dorm, but could not convince Gandalf to accompany her (Will seemed to want to listen more than play).
Stacy followed the cat into a secret room where she discovered all sort of things missing from classrooms, dormitories, and other rooms at Hogwarts. She carefully hid from Mrs. Norris (making Sports rolls like a champ) and returned to Prof. McGonagall's office with the loot stolen by the cat. She was praised for her bravery (a fitting quality for a Gryffindor) and her house was awarded 10 points!

They wanted to keep playing! Sophie remembered almost every detail to tell Carly. They both asked if we could play tomorrow. So I am pretty pleased.

5 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a published set of rules or a home-brew? We've had "lego-D&D" as a home brew and a sort of 'loosely based on GURPs' game set in Ancient Egypt.

-Karen

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Scholz said...

Homebrew, exceptionally lite rules so far. I may let the rules develop as they get more. Right now, it is just a die challenge d4 for easy, d6 for average, d8 for hard. Vs. one of the stats they have Study, Sport, Magic (with one of those dice each). That is it.

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous ben said...

So awesome!

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cool. This sounds like a great way to exercise your kids imagination! -D. Langevin

 
At 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi steve,

don't know if you saw the articles on boingboing last year about exactly this topic with thoughts as to rules systems:

part 1: http://boingboing.net/2011/05/18/tips-for-dungeon-mas.html

part 2: http://boingboing.net/2011/06/09/tips-for-dungeon-mas-1.html

love,
lex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home