Friday, June 23, 2006

Speaking of Professionalism...

Months ago, I asked payroll if I would be getting a separate paystub for my overload teaching (5th class) as usual. They said, no, they weren't doing that anymore. It would be put into my normal paycheck. Great. But I never really noticed anymore money than usual in the old accounts around 'pay day' which for overloads was mid-term and end of semester.
I figured, maybe they folded it into the biweekly paychecks.
Then for the summer, I wasn't sure if they were going to use direct deposit or old fashioned checks. So I call. They are using direct deposit but I should come down for my stubs. I do. No stubbs yet for Summer, but two from the previosu semester. I go to talk with Payroll about summer. Sure enough, they won't come out until next week. Fine. While I was there, I figured I ask about the Overload.
She doesn't know. They've changed the system for overload pay three times in two years, and no one is really sure about how to make sure it happens.
Sure enough, I wasn't paid for it. She would check on it. Today I get an email saying that HR had no record of it. I replied they could check with the Registars' office for the class, and my grades which I turned in, and forward my course load form. Sigh. I hope it will be resolved. That is supposed to pay for half the new floor.
How do you just forget to pay someone? Sigh.


BTW: I am supposed to receive a small stipend for Independent Studies ($200/student). I have done maybe 10 of them. Never once have I got that. If I am teaching the class concurrently, it isn't so big a deal to do them, so I don't make a big fuss. But, when students ask for me to teach a class that gets cancelled (like my Origins of Belief class) for low enrollment, I don't do it as Independent Studies. Burned too many times.

1 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

You really know how to make a fella feel like he ought to finish his degree and teach...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home