Friday, June 06, 2008

Yellow Alert

Carly went to the Birth center yesterday for her weekly check up, and found out she was 4cm dilated. She'd been feeling a lot of activity this week, but wasn't sure what to make of it. I've been cruising along not worrying myself. The plan was quite simple.

The due date is June 24th.
I teach until June 16th,
That gives me over a week to prepare.
My parents arrive June 21st.
If the baby comes a little early, no problem, we leave them with my folks, head to the birth center, have the baby, and my parents bring the kids to see some reasonable time afterward.

That was before the 4cm business and the notice that it could be another 2 weeks (probably not 3) or it could be tonight (or last night... okay it wasn't last night but it could have been).

Now panic set in.
My car was almost out of gas.
We have no one to watch the kids if the baby comes in the night.
I haven't packed my own bag, much less the kids.
What if we don't make it and Carly needs to deliver in the car?
What will happen if I miss the last week of summer school?

Luckily, the baby did not arrive yesterday.
1. Cars now full of gas (we will be keeping them that way).
2. Friend Linda has agreed to take kids (even in the middle of the night) and even set up an extra bed just in case it is a night run.
3. Bags are packed, clothes for us (including bathing suit for hopeful water birth), food bag for afterward, kids overnights (just in case), and emergency car bag, just in case. Maps are printed (need to update map with Hospitals en route).
4. Notes, Quizzes, Final Exam all prep'd and ready to go if I need to miss any class.

Okay, I am still anxious. But I can breath.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go, Carly!
Amanda

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you keep an emergency "what if the baby is born in the car"! kit in your car that will prevent it from happening. It worked for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home