Friday, August 11, 2006

Go West Young(?) Man!

Our journey to California got Carly and I thinking more about moving the family westward. It was really nice being near my brothers and parents. I never really put much into being close to the family. I've lived pretty much away, since high school, and never really regretted it, until recently. I think the kids have definitely factored into the equation. The idea of having their grandparents nearby, for babysitting, or just visiting. The idea of being closer to the resources that they possess are all very attractive. I don't know how often we'd ask my folks to babysit, or have visits, but just having them there would open a lot of doors for us. And I really like the idea of the kids having close relationships with their cousins.
I miss the Pacific weather a lot too. It was hot while we were there, but tolerable, even though it was getting into the 100s. But even in the 80s here it is pretty much unbearbale outside 5 months out of the year. I don't like that, I think it is bad for my health, and the kds as well. They need to be able to play outside. I'd like to be able to do so as well.
I never thought climate would be such an important factor.

Portland OR, is the buzzword now. Chris has talked about trying to move Shaba up there. It has many of the benefits of the Bay Area, with substantially less costs (although it would still be more expensive for us). So the only thing in the way is a job. If that becomes a possibliity, even an objectively worse job in terms of income or status, we will deeply consider a move.

So, I am trying to spruce up my qualifications.. get a paper and a presentation out there. With hopes of making myself attractive enough to make the move. We shall see. It is still a year or more away. Possibly two. But it is getting close to being a plan.

2 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Portland is a pretty easy trip from Seattle. Vice versa of course and now I know all the good kid stuff up here.

-Karen

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahem. I note that I grew up playing outside.
amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home