Friday, September 03, 2004

Another School Year

Well, I am a couple weeks into the school year. Nothing major has changed. I am always optimistic that I can make a difference by the way I teach, but when it comes right down to it, I think the students have more control over that than I.
My tiny honors class is doing great. They do their homework and seem to get the major points of the book. We have good conversations in class and people seem energetic.
My other classes are okay, but there is a kind of lethargy there. Like they just can't bring themselves to work hard in my class. I don't know if it is because of the fact that they are required, or because the classes are so big. In any event, I am laboring to make them more exciting and energetic for the students.
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the work load I gave myself, too many homework assignments and quizzes. I really, should just have two papers in each class and be done with it. That way I wouldn't be constantly reminded of the situation.

Labor day is game day. That will be good. I've missed it.

1 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

I bet some of this will seem different after you teach for a while--you'll gain more and more techniques that help you learn, over time, how to better engage students, as well as when you can and when you can't better engage them, if you know what I mean. You really haven't been teaching that long--cut yo'self some slack.

I commend you for doing the quizzes and more assignments, because, really, more people would fail if you didn't--that's been my (limited) experience, at any rate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home