Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Stand off

When I was in college I lived in a house that I shared with a couple other guys. They were not what you would call "neat freaks." You see we had an inordinate quantity of dishes, cutlery and such. I think we were the first of our generation to leave the homes, so we had all the hand-me-down stuff. One could go weeks without needing to reuse the same dish or spoon. So dishes were frequently left in the sink, and a game started that was basically "who can hold out the longer before washing dishes." It was not a game I liked to play, it was a game I always lost. I just don't have the patience to win for the principle. And I was afraid of botulism. I am still pretty quick to get dishes into the washing machine, and out once clean.

So this semester, like last, I am teaching the LIS class Philosophy and Film. In this class we watch ten or so movies. I once asked about getting the school to buy the films, oh those halcyon days of youth. Of course, the school purchasing system invovles a thousand page requisition form which eventually ends up in the trash. So I ended up buying them myself. This semester had to replace two I lent to students which they forgot to return, plus a couple newer films to add to the course. Then I discovered, the school has "lost" all but one of its DVD players. So all users, from students, teachers, clubs, etc.. get to fight over the one DVD Player. I met with every department, the library, the procurement office, the physical plant; you name it, I pleaded with it. I was so frustrated yesterday I cancelled class because every attempt failed, and I just was not up to trying to improvise a "no film day" class from stratch. And if you know anything about my teaching, you know I rarely cancel a class (even when sick).
Yesterday my sneakers split open, today some pants revealed a hole in the butt. So I went to Target to get those, and discovered tiny DVD players on sale for $35. So, once again, I lose. I just don't have the patience to fight the bureaucracy and the poverty of my school. I guess I can write it off.

4 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When I was in college I lived in a house that I shared with a couple other guys. They were not what you would call "neat freaks.""

Wasn't me! Sounds like you are talking about those Death Trap guys... ;P

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Scholz said...

Yes, I was thinking of the Death Trap. But, there were moments at the Keep as well. Probably after you left.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

Geez. You might as well be an elementary school teacher for all of the supplies you have to buy. Sheesh.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Game Theory they call that one "Chicken".

-Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home